Sunday, October 18, 2015

Week 2 (MTC Hard Mode)

   This week was hard in multiple ways.  I felt like a palm tree in a storm (figuratively).  I felt like I was hit by one thing, only to be hit by another.  It was hard, but it is though adversity that we grow to be a bigger, stronger palm tree (figuratively).  We taught David this last week and committed him to baptism, which was kind of weird since he's a member, but it was a great learning experience.  He began to teach us as our teacher.  His real name is Hermano Cruz and he is a great teacher and has a powerful testimony.  This week I had a hard time adjusting to constantly being with my companion.  It kind of tried my patience, but I am glad to have the experience to learn and to grow and to know how to be a better missionary.  Another problem we have had here is disobedience. It is hard when your district leaders and various leaders tell you it doesn't matter if you don't get to bed until 11:30, that the white handbook is just a nice book of suggestions.  (For those of you who don't know what he means, 'white handbook', it is the missionary handbook of standards to keep them physically and spiritually safe while serving a full time mission-  you can access it here.)  It is hard when during time to study, no one is studying.  It is hard when those who you are supposed to look up to for guidance are not being good examples.  I am happy to go through this, because if I can deal with it and endure, and maybe help others around me to strive to be the best they can, then I will grow for the better because of it.  I love the experience of being here, because even though it is hard, I have never felt closer to the Lord.  The Spirit is so strong and I have been seeing it work wonders for me and those around me.  Just yesterday we were going over a tense in Spanish that I learned just last year.  Truly it is amazing to see the progress of those around me.  In just two weeks it seems they have received as much education that I received in 5 years!  This week was a lot of the same, studying the language and how to teach, so not many gems to report. 


Mexico City Temple
   The big thing we did this week was that we went to the temple today.  Mexico city's temple is huge and it was great to feel that special feeling of peace and an increase of the Spirit when we went in there.  One of the missionaries in my district yesterday challenged us to go into the temple with a question we were pondering.  I did that and it was amazing the answers I received to the question that I had!  The days still seem slow but the weeks seem so fast.  I am so excited to continue to learn here to teach our brethren and sisters out in the Reno area! 


   Here's a short video about why members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS or Mormons for short) build temples.

No comments:

Post a Comment